Watercolor Paintings by Elizabeth Trubia

Treasured Memories
Home
Watercolor Gallery Guide
Paragon Park/Nantasket Beach
Historical Hull Victorian Hotels
Historic Scenes of Hull
Historic Scenes of the South Shore
Scenes of Boston
Lighthouses
Other Popular Works
Upcoming Events
Contact Us

Lighthouses


BOSTON LIGHT

The first lighthouse in North America, built by the colonies in 1716, is located on Little Brewster Island at the entrance to Boston Harbor.  Boston Light was destroyed by retreating, angry British soldiers in 1776 at the close of the Revolutionary War.  It was rebuilt in 1783 and has guided ships in and out of Boston Harbor for three centuries.  Boston Light, the oldest light in the United States, remains the only manned light in the country and is accessible for public tours.  The Harbor Islands are now part of our National Park System.


BOSTON LIGHT and GRAVES LIGHT

 

Companion lights that allow all sizes of ships to enter Boston Harbor safely, these lights guard the entrance to Boston.  Boston Light dates back to 1716, well before the Revolutionary War.  Graves Light was built after the turn of the century in 1903 to guide larger tankers and transports requiring deeper channels.  Both lights act as sentinels to the important port city of Boston.


GRAVES LIGHT

 

This important unmanned light was built in the outer harbor in 1903 to guide larger vessels requiring deeper channels into Boston Harbor. The granite tower of Graves Light is patterned after the successful engineering designs of Minot Light at Cohasset. The granite blocks become a tighter fit as the gale wind intensifies which creates a safe refuge.


SCITUATE LIGHT

 

Built in 1811, Scituate Light has been deactivated since 1860. This scenic lighthouse, located at Cedar Point, Scituate, is easily accessible for walking tours and is a picturesque landmark on the edge of Scituate Harbor. An interesting legend involves the War of 1812. The Lightkeeper’s two daughters succeeded in frightening off a band of British marines rowing to shore by playing the fife and drum, thus pretending they were an American army.

Painting - Scituate Lighthouse

Painting - Minot Lighthouse

MINOT LIGHT

 

Positioned on Minot’s Ledge, a treacherous rock formation in the Atlantic Ocean off the coast of Cohasset, Minot Light has stood up to the sea for more than 140 years. The first iron light was built in 1850 and was destroyed by a powerful gale after one year. The present light is the first “rock” light in the United States. The 97- foot rock-tower was completed in 1860 and automated in 1947. Since 1894 the light signal has flashed in a 1-4-3 sequence (I love you).


MINOT LIGHT IN WINTER

 

Positioned on Minot’s Ledge, a treacherous rock formation in the Atlantic Ocean off the coast of Cohasset, Minot Light has stood up to the sea for more than 140 years. The first iron light was built in 1850 and was destroyed by a powerful gale after one year. The present light is the first “rock” light in the United States. The 97- foot rock-tower was completed in 1860 and automated in 1947. Since 1894 the light signal has flashed in a 1-4-3 sequence (I love you).

Painting - Minot Lighthouse in Winter

Painting - Twin Lighthouses

TWIN LIGHTS, THACHER ISLAND, ROCKPORT

 

The tall, slender twin lighthouses on 50-acre Thacher Island, on the Town of Rockport's seal since 1888, are an indespensible part of the local seascape.  Now designated a National Historic Landmark, the island is also recognized as a significant historic site for the nation as a whole.  The petition asking for the lighthouses on Thacher Island was presented to the General Court by John Hancock, who owned ships on Cape Ann.  Dues were collected from local shipping to pay for the lighthouses.  Two 45-foot stone towers, about 300 yards apart, were lighted for the first time on December 21, 1771. The twin lights soon gained the nickname "Ann's Eyes."  They were rebuilt as 124-foot granite towers in 1861 and fitted with the first-order Fresnel lenses.  Once a pair of lights for mariners to easily distinguish, the southern tower sets itself apart from other Massachusetts lights by flashing a beacon of red.

 


BOSTON LIGHT IN WINTER

 

The first lighthouse in North America, built by the colonies in 1716, is located on Little Brewster Island at the entrance to Boston Harbor.  Boston Light was destroyed by retreating, angry British soldiers in 1776 at the close of the Revolutionary War. It was rebuilt in 1783 and has guided ships in and out of Boston Harbor for three centuries. Boston Light , the oldest light in the United States, remains the only manned light in the country and is accessible for public tours . The Harbor Islands are now part of our National Park System.