Watercolor Paintings by Elizabeth Trubia

Treasured Memories
Home
Watercolor Gallery Guide
Paragon Park/Nantasket Beach
Historical Hull Victorian Hotels
Historic Scenes of Hull
Historic Scenes of the South Shore
Scenes of Boston
Lighthouses
Other Popular Works
Upcoming Events
Contact Us

Historic Scenes of the South Shore


FAIRVIEW HOUSE, BRANT ROCK, 1920

The Fairview Inn, built by Martin Swift in 1874 catered to Boston’s vacationing elite.  Home to the elegant and exclusive “Como Club” during the 20’s and 30’s, patrons enjoyed gambling and contraband liquor smuggled in through an ocean tunnel.  Over the years, the Fairview became famous for wholesome food and hearty meals.  It was destroyed by fire in late winter 1998, ending 124 years of continuous operation.


BLACK ROCK HOUSE

Cohasset’s Black Rock House on Jerusalem Road was a popular and welcome stop for summer visitors lured to this beautiful town. This is the second  and final Black Rock House built around the 1890’s to replace the original  which was built in 1707 and burnt to the ground in the 1800’s.  The original Black Rock was recorded in early paintings of the day. Many famous people made their way to the Black Rock, first by stagecoach, followed by the trolley and then motor car. Politicians and movie stars rubbed elbows at the Black Rock. It is rumored that Clark Gable was an appreciative tourist. The Black Rock survived a host of small fires and was eventually demolished in the 1970’s bringing to a close a most successful existence.

Winner, Honorable Mention, South Shore Art Center, Festival Show, Cohasset, June, 1998

MELVILLE GARDENS, CROW POINT, HINGHAM 1900

Samuel Downer built Melville Gardens, Crow Point, Hingham in 1871.  It boasted the most stunning Victorian architecture of the day and contained 20 electric lights.  Visitors arrived by boats from Boston, landing at the Downer Landing pier, the present site of the Hingham Yacht Club.  Band music, fireworks, clambakes, a merry-go-round and sumptuous dinners at the Café, the Rose Standish House and the Clam Bake House entertained them.  After the death of Mr. Downer in 1881, Melville Gardens lasted only until 1897 when it was decided to close it down and demolish the magnificent buildings.

Winner: Honorable Mention, Weymouth Art Association, December 1998; Honorable Mention South Shore Art Center, Festival Show, Cohasset, June 1999

CLIFF HOUSE

Scituate’s “Irish Riviera” was the location of the Cliff Hotel, a popular North Scituate inn, built in the mid-1800’s at the locale known as Minot by a Mrs. Cushing.  Later renovations were done by a Mr. Summers.  Rollicking good times were enjoyed at the Cliff and when a fire consumed it in the 1970’s hardly a dry eye was found.

 


Painting - Toll House - Whitman
TOLL HOUSE

At one time this house was used as a toll house where passengers ate, changed horses and paid toll. Built in 1709, it was sold to Ken and Ruth Wakefield in 1930 and they proceeded to establish a fine restaurant. Mrs. Wakefield accidentally invented the Toll House Cookie one day when she substituted chopped semi-sweet chocolate for baking chocolate in a cookie recipe. The chocolate chip cookie was born because the chocolate chips did not melt into the batter. The Nestle Company was so interested in their popularity that they printed her recipe on their wrapper of chocolate bits and gave Mrs. Wakefield chocolate chips to bake cookies for the rest of her life.


Painting - Abigail Adams House

ABIGAIL ADAMS HOUSE, WEYMOUTH

Abigail Smith Adams was born in Weymouth in 1744.  A minister's daughter, she was self-taught and she home-schooled the five children she had with her husband of 54 years, our 2nd President, John Adams, whom she married in 1764.  Her son, John Quincy Adams, later became our 6th president.  This house is a restoration of Abigail Smith Adams’ birthplace.  It was built in 1685 for the Reverend Samuel Torrey, minister of the First Church Weymouth.  The original location was at the corner North and East Streets, three hundred feet to the southeast of its present location.

Winner: Honorable Mention, Weymouth Art Association, April 2000


Painting - Hingham Grain Mill

HINGHAM GRAIN MILL AT HINGHAM HARBOR circa 1890’s

We fished in the Mill Pond when the tide came in and we went under the bridge when the tide went out.  The Mill Pond has been filled in to become a blacktopped parking lot and Station Street.  The Hingham Grain Mill building still exists as a restaurant with some small shops on the ground floor.


Painting - Columbian Square

COLUMBIAN SQUARE, WEYMOUTH circa 1940's

The Fogg Building originally housed one of Weymouth’s early Opera Houses.  In 1940 the Cameo Theater was showing the popular movie of the period, “Gone With the Wind” starring Clark Gable and Vivien Leigh in air-conditioned comfort.  Frank Ness operated a service station in part of the Fogg Building and the square was becoming a hubbub of traffic islands and small stores.


Painting- Quincy Center

QUINCY CENTER 1915

In 1915 the popular mode of transportation was the electric trolley, carrying passengers from the various sections of Quincy to the Center for shopping, leisure and amusement.  The First Parish Church dominated the Quincy Center area and had become a tourist attraction containing the crypts of John Adams, John Quincy Adams and their wives.

Winner: Best Quincy Historic Painting, Quincy Art Association, September 2002


AUTUMN GAZEBO, WEYMOUTH
Dedicated to the people of Weymouth and Whitman’s Pond Waterfront Park by the Weymouth Rotary Club on October 17, 2004.
Painting - Autumn Gazebo

WEYMOUTH HOSPITAL 

H.B. Reed, a respected and popular shoe manufacturer donated his home which became the Weymouth Hospital on May 22, 1922. The precursor to the well known South Shore Hospital, at first contained 22 beds, a delivery room, a nursery, an x-ray machine and a magnificent sterile operating room. In 1967, as the community grew, the building was replaced by a larger one. Today the South Shore Hospital is the epitome of a large modern hospital.

 

 

 


HERE COMES GREENBUSH