Watercolor Paintings by Elizabeth Trubia

Treasured Memories
Home
Watercolor Gallery Guide
Paragon Park/Nantasket Beach
Historical Hull Victorian Hotels
Historic Scenes of Hull
Historic Scenes of the South Shore
Scenes of Boston
Lighthouses
Other Popular Works
Upcoming Events
Contact Us

Historical Hull Victorian Hotels


ROCKLAND HOUSE, 1905

The original Rockland House was established in 1854 by the Colonel Nehemiah Ripley. The Colonel operated it for nearly 30 years while it increased from 40 rooms to nearly 200. It boasted seating for 350 in the dining room and a 460 foot piazza which afforded a splendid view of the dazzling sea. Guests enjoyed all the modern necessities of the times: water, gas, steam-heat, music rooms, billiards, golf, baseball, and croquet on the lawn. The Rockland House burned down on February 4, 1916.


 

HOTEL NANTASKET AND AUDITORIUM 1905

 

Hotel Nantasket around 1905, the grand palace of the region was the temple of gastronomy and social mirth.  Broad platforms, promenades and piazzas lined the sides of the hotel and pavilion, rich in towers, gables, balconies and pinnacles.  In the auditorium, famous bands rendered sweet music across the sandy beach as visitors enjoyed clam bakes and the choicest foods and beverages and were waited upon by servants.

 

 

 

PEMBERTON HOTEL AT HULL GUT 1909

 

The Pemberton was a luxury hotel built on the tip of Hull at Windmill Point late in the 19th century.  Located near the pier where the popular Boston Steamship Lines docked, it had upwards of a hundred rooms, boasting gas works and lights, all elegantly appointed with rich furniture and carpets.  Guests enjoyed boating, lawn tennis, billiards, and a bar of generous proportions.  Hull High School occupies the present site bordering the famous Hull Gut.  The Pemberton was demolished and salvaged during the early 1950’s.

 

ATLANTIC HOUSE 1895

 

In the late 19th century, The Atlantic House was the most famous summer hotel in New England due to its many  and varied notable guests.  Sarah Bernhardt, Wallis Simpson, President William McKinley and opera star Enrico Caruso, who gave two performances here, all enjoyed the fine accommodations the Atlantic House offered. Conveniences for guests included stairs directly to the beach and bath houses directly on the beach. The 175 room hotel burned to the ground during a blizzard on January 7, 1927.


PAVILION  at NANTASKET HOTEL 1914

 

By 1914, the Pavilion, located on the south side of the Nantasket Hotel, was a popular boardwalk frequented by visitors to the area. Ladies and gentlemen could stroll along catching the ocean breeze and greeting   friends. They might choose a final destination for a refreshing repast at the Nantasket Hotel or other fine restaurants at the beach.

 

Winner: Third Place, Weymouth Art Association, December 1999 

PEMBERTON HOTEL AT WINDMILL POINT circa 1900

 

Located alongside Hull Gut at Windmill Point, the luxurious Pemberton Hotel was built in 1880.  This magnificent Queen Anne-style hotel contained  100 richly furnished rooms including a billiard parlor and an elevator. Patrons enjoyed lush gardens while listening to band concerts or refreshing themselves in a 50,000 gallon ocean water, steam-heated swimming pool. In the late 19th century, the Pemberton was considered one of the world’s finest hotels. Falling into disrepair decades later, it was demolished and salvaged in the 1950s and is now the present site of Hull High School.

ATLANTIC HOUSE, NANTASKET BEACH 1895

 

In the late 19th century, The Atlantic House was the most famous summer hotel in New England due to its many  and varied notable guests.  Sarah Bernhardt, Wallis Simpson, President William McKinley and opera star Enrico Caruso, who gave two performances here, all enjoyed the fine accommodations the Atlantic House offered. Conveniences for guests included stairs directly to the beach and bath houses directly on the beach. The 175 room hotel burned to the ground during a blizzard on January 7, 1927.

Painting - Pavillion at Nantasket Hotel
Painting - Pemberton Hotel at Windmill Point
Painting - Atlantic House

Painting - Nantasket Hotel

HOTEL NANTASKET 1880

Hotel Nantasket, boasting electric lights, was built in 1879 by William J. Nelson.  After an addition in 1880, the hotel featured 145 sleeping rooms, was 300 feet long and 101 feet wide.  Weathering many storms, it persevered into the 1950s when it was demolished.

Winner: Members Award for Excellence, South Shore Art Center, Festival Show, Cohasset, June 1997


WORRICK MANSION

 

            One of Hull’s famous resorts, built by William Worrick in 1826,began a historic journey which ended until 1986 when it burned to the ground. Originally a refuge for hunters, it was first known as “The Sportsman”. It passed through several owners; Arthur Pickering, George Damon and the Eastman family. The Damon family used it for a summer home for 25 years. From W.W. I into the 20’s it had a “speakeasy” reputation.  After prohibition it was named “Graystone Lodge” and noted for it’s lavish dinner. The Eastman family was responsible for turning the Worrick Inn into the place to hold important functions, wedding receptions, elaborate parties and class reunions. 

NANTASKET HOTEL 1920