Watercolor Paintings by Elizabeth Trubia

Treasured Memories
Home
Watercolor Gallery Guide
Paragon Park/Nantasket Beach
Historical Hull Victorian Hotels
Historic Scenes of Hull
Historic Scenes of the South Shore
Scenes of Boston
Lighthouses
Other Popular Works
Upcoming Events
Contact Us
Paragon Park/Nantasket Beach

PARAGON PARK 1905

 

Paragon Park, new in 1905, was a “ mini worlds fair. ”  Each pavilion flew the flag of its country.  It boasted a man-made lagoon on which floated authentic gondolas and even a Chinese junk. It was decorated with beautiful gardens and ornamentation.  Patrons were treated to band concerts,circus acts and rides,  and could refresh themselves at the Schlitz Palm Garden. The park closed in 1985 and the property became the site of condominiums. 

 

Winner: Second Place, Weymouth Art Association, December 1997


WILD MOUSE PARAGON PARK circa 1970’s

A popular and exhilarating ride, the Wild Mouse brought many thrill-seekers to Paragon Park for years.  The Rocket Swing, the Whip, and the Giant Coaster are seen in the background. John Allen of the Philadelphia Toboggan Company built the Giant Coaster.  It was a dominant ride in Paragon Park.  It was 3,400 feet long and 96 feet high.  In the 1960s it was named one of the top-10 coasters in the world by the New York Times.  The ride lasted only a minute, but the thrill lingered on.  The Giant Coaster was sold to an amusement park in Maryland when Paragon Park closed in the 1980s.  

Winner: First Place, Hull Artist's Studio Connection, April 2004

 


 The Lagoon - Watercolor paintings, nature art

THE LAGOON at PARAGON PARK 1905

A 4-foot deep man-made lagoon graced the gardens of Paragon Park in 1905, on which floated an authentic Chinese junk in addition to a flotilla of Venetian gondolas. The Schlitz Palm Gardens was an elegant restaurant and the massive Rockland House Hotel is seen in the distance on the hilltop behind the park. The flags of all nations flew from the rooftops in the park.                                                                                                   

Winner: Second Place, Weymouth Art Association, April 1998


AMUSEMENTS AT PARAGON PARK - 1960’S

 

This view from inside Paragon Park shows some rides; the Caterpillar, Lindy Loop, part of the Carousel Pavilion, the “kiddie” Merry-go-round, and the Giant Coaster in the background. Games of “skill” and luck were located along the walkway where many a young man would impress his girl by winning dolls and stuffed animals for her. There were interesting pastimes to explore for all ages at Paragon Park.

 Amusements at Paragon Park -  Watercolor paintings, nature art

Painting - Painting by Elizabeth Trubia

CAROUSEL at NANTASKET

The Paragon Carousel, built by the Philadelphia Toboggan Company in 1928, contains 66 hand carved horses and two Roman Chariots. It is considered a “grand” carousel because it’s horses stand four abreast. Local investors bought and moved the carousel and it’s Pavilion from Paragon Park in 1985 when Paragon Park closed. It is presently located next to the historic Waiting Station with its distinctive Clock Tower, at Wade’s Corner. Hull's only remaining Paragon Park ride is today owned and operated by the Friends of the Paragon Carousel.


CONGO CRUISE AT PARAGON PARK – 1970’S

Paragon’s tunnel  of love had numerous names over the years. The Mill Rapids in 1920 became the Red Mill, which was destroyed by fire in 1963. It became the Jungle Ride for a year before becoming the Congo Cruise. Regardless of the names given to this popular “love” ride, they all featured a thrilling splash down into a small pool at the end. The Whip is shown to the left with the Rocket Swing along side Lahage’s  popular food stand and the Carousel Pavilion housing the Merry-go-round.

Winner: Honorable Mention, Hull Artist's Studio Connection, April 2002; Honorable Mention Weymouth Art Association, December 2004

 Carousel - Congo Cruise at Paragon Park

Elizabeth creates watercolor paintings and artwork of nature art inspired by South Shore and surrounding areas for her art gallery.

CHATEAU at PARAGON PARK, circa 1950’s

In the 1950’s the Chateau at Paragon Park was a large ballroom and restaurant. Previously the site of the Schlitz Palm Garden Grill, in later years it became the “Blue Bunny”. Among the popular rides pictured are the “Auto Scooters” also known by many fans as the “Bumper Cars”. Next door was the popular “Jig Saw” and the large “Flying Scooters”.  A “kiddie" selection of rides included the “Boats”, the “Swans”, the “Whip” and a mini Carousel. We were all thrilled by the sights, sounds and smell of Paragon Park.



ENTRANCE to PARAGON PARK 1905

When beautiful Paragon Park was built in 1905, its majestic entrance evoked a look back at the old ornate European castles. All who passed this portal were treated to 20 acres of amusements which delighted the senses. It was an extravagant, fun-filled way to spend a summer afternoon at the ocean.

 


NANTASKET BEACH RESORT HOTEL

           The Clarion family of hotels claims the Nantasket Beach Resort Hotel  & Spa. Rising up at the edge of the magnificent blue Atlantic Ocean, the site was formerly the location of the historic Ocean Gardens, remembered fondly from the days of the Big Band Era during World War II.  The luxurious Nantasket Beach Hotel, takes it’s place in the history of Hull, a town noted  for it’s historical luxury Victorian  hotels.

 


S.S. NANTASKET STEAMSHIP


PARAGON PARK ART DECO ENTRANCE